Depending on where you purchased the game, follow the instructions below to download (or download updates for) the game.
▪ XBOX app for Windows ▪
On your Windows 10/11 device, select Search on the taskbar, type Xbox, and then select it from the list. If the app isn’t installed, you can get it for free from the Microsoft Store.
If you’re a Game Pass member, select the Game Pass tab, and then choose a game from the catalog or type it in the search box. In the game’s page, select Install and then follow the prompts.
▪ MICROSOFT STORE ▪
To download or update the game in the Microsoft Store:
- Press your Windows Key and search for “Store” or “Microsoft Store” to find and open the app.
- Make sure you are signed in with the account that owns Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition.
- Click the [ ∙ ∙ ∙ ] symbol next to your profile picture.
- Select Downloads and updates.
- Press the Get updates button to automatically detect, download, and install the latest changes to your game!
- Let the Store download Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition.
Once your download is complete, you will be able to search for your game in the Windows Start menu or listed under My Library in the Microsoft Store. You can also create a shortcut to access and launch the game from anywhere on your computer.
▪ STEAM ▪
To download or update the game in the Steam client:
- Open the Steam client.
- Click on Library to see your games list.
- Click Downloads at the bottom of the Library window.
- [If the new build does not download automatically,] click the button to manually download the new update.
By default, Steam will automatically keep your game updated whenever a new build is released. You can click on LIBRARY > GAMES to search for and launch your game when it is available.
If you’ve disabled auto-updates, you can also click LIBRARY > GAMES > Downloads to view your download queue and prioritize Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition above other games in your library.