There are a few ways to join a multiplayer match in Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition, depending on the type of game you’d like to play. You can see all available match lobbies by clicking the Multiplayer in the main menu. This will open a window with options to view, join, or even create a game.
- Ranked: Allows you to play in a ranked match against players invited to your game.
- Quick Play: Quickly start a game playing against opponents in unranked matchmaking games.
- Find Custome Game: Lists all available unranked match lobbies.
- Host Game: Start your own match.
If you choose Find Custom Game, then several more tabs are available.
- Spectate Games: Lists matches where you can spectate and learn from other players.
- Clans: Provides a list of clans, invites to clans, and allows you to create a clan for you and your friends.
- Leaderboard: Displays multiplayer leaderboards and rankings based on different game modes.
To create a new match of your own, check out this article with all of the available options when hosting a game.