In most cases, this issue will appear when the Enhanced Graphics Pack DLC did not download or update properly. Depending on the platform where you are playing, verifying or re-downloading the DLC seems to fix the issue.
🛠 STEAM USERS
Follow the steps to verify the integrity of your game files. Once this is done, re-launch the game and verify that the issue is fixed.
🛠 MICROSOFT STORE USERS
Verify that the Enhanced Graphics Pack DLC is the same version number as your main game. You can do so by following these steps:
- Open the Microsoft Store.
- Click the [ . . . ] symbol next to your profile picture.
- Select Downloads and updates from the drop-down menu.
In the menu, you should be able to find both Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition and the Enhanced Graphics Pack DLC listed. If the version numbers are not the same, press the Get updates button to detect and download the latest updates. If you continue to see the issue in-game, take the time to uninstall and re-download the Enhanced Graphics Pack DLC:
- Press the Windows key and search for Add or remove programs.
- Click the Add or remove programs systems setting to open the list of apps on your computer.
- Find ‘Enhanced Graphics Pack DLC’ in the list.
- Click the game and click the Uninstall button.
- When your computer is done uninstalling the DLC, open the Microsoft Store.
- Search for Enhanced Graphics Pack DLC.
- Select and download the DLC.
- When it is finished, launch Age of Empires II:Definitive Edition.