There are several potential workarounds to this issue. Please try the following steps to see if they fix the problem:
🛠 Ensure that your computer meets the minimum requirements to play the game.
A majority of crashes upon launching the game can be attributed to playing on a PC that does not meet the recommended requirements. Ensure that your system meets the minimum system requirements to run the game. This includes checking your version of Windows 10. If you need to update your version of Windows 10, you can follow the instructions here.
🛠 Update your display drivers.
If you are playing on old or outdated display drivers, you may encounter issues when trying to launch and play any game. You can check what video card and drivers you are running using the DxDiag command. Once you know what hardware you’re using, you can download the appropriate drivers from the web:
- Nvidia Video Card Drivers: https://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
- ATI Video Card Drivers: https://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
- Intel Drivers: https://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/graphics
- Laptop video drivers are dependent on and obtained from your laptop’s manufacturer.
🛠 Check your antivirus settings.
Some antivirus programs may prevent the game from launching. Check your antivirus settings to make sure Age of Empires: Definitive Edition is not being blocked.
- Add the game to any whitelist feature in your antivirus program. (Note: some antivirus programs may remove the game from the whitelist when it is updated. Double check that the game is still on your whitelist!)
Here are a few particular antivirus programs with known conflicts, as well as resolution steps for each:
- Avast: Age of Empires DE must be added to the program’s whitelist. Steps can be found here.
- AVG: Age of Empires DE must be added to the program’s whitelist. Steps can be found here.
- Bitdefender: Age of Empires DE must be added to the program’s whitelist. Steps can be found here.
- Comodo: disable shellcode injection detection.
- F-secure: Age of Empires DE must be added to the program’s whitelist.
- Trend Micro: Age of Empires DE must be added to the program’s whitelist. Steps can be found here.
If the antivirus requires you to target the game files through “Browse…”, the default file path will be:
- Steam: Program Files(x86) > Steam> steamapps > Common > AoEDE > AoEDE_s.exe
- Windows Store: Program Files > WindowsApps > Microsoft.Darwin_100.1.27805.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe > AoEDE.exe
🛠 Uninstall and reinstall Age of Empires: Definitive Edition.
If you were able to install the game successfully but still encounter crashes in the game, please reinstall the app using these instructions.
🛠 Run the Windows 10 Store App Troubleshooter.
You can run the Windows 10 Store App Troubleshooter to identify and address many different issues with Windows. You can find it here.
🛠 Move the app to a different drive.
For some users, crashes may be attributed to low disk space on the drive where the game is installed. Freeing up space on that drive or moving the game to a different drive will provide additional virtual memory to run the game.
To move your game to a different drive, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows key and search for Apps & features.
- Select Age of Empires: Definitive Edition.
- Click the Move button.
- Choose a new drive from the drop-down menu.
- Click Move to automatically move the game to a new home.