In the event that you are experiencing technical issues when running the game, we first recommend that you work through these troubleshooting steps in our support articles.
If there is still a technical issue, then our Support team will sometimes request for information. Here are steps to find several of the most requested pieces of information.
Use the steps below to find your numeric Steam ID. This is often need instead of the Steam username since it is unique for each player.
- Launch the Steam app.
- Click View in the top left corner
- Choose Settings at the bottom of the list.
- In the pop up window, choose Interface from the list on the left.
- Check the box next to Display Steam URL address bar when available.
- Click Ok.
- Click on your Steam username and copy the number near the end of the URL.
If you have set up a custom URL for Steam, then you will need to take a few extra steps to show the numeric URL.
- Hover over your Steam username and choose Profile.
- Choose Edit Profile on the right side, underneath your level.
- Remove any text from the Custom URL field. This can be added back afterwards.
- Click Save and then click on your Steam username and copy the number near the end of the URL.
Use the steps below to find your Microsoft Gamertag.
- Go to Xbox.com.
- Click Sign In on the top right corner and log into your Microsoft Account.
- Your Gamertag will now be displayed in the top right corner.
Another important bit of information to provide is your DxDiag report, which provides an overview of your hardware, your driver versions, and other important information about your computer. Here’s how to generate a DxDiag report;
- Press the Windows key.
- Type dxdiag and select the ‘Run Command’ result.
- Let the tool run and generate a report.
- In the tool, select ‘Save All Information’ and save the file as a .txt file.
There are several different logs you should include whenever you encounter a crash, disconnect, or other technical issue. The default location for all logs is below:
- C:\Users\ [[YOUR WINDOWS USERNAME]] \Games\Age of Empires 2 DE\logs
The log file name specifies the game, platform you’re playing on, build version, and the date/time of the crash, and is specific to every instance – so if your game crashed earlier in the day and you’ve been playing since, you can still go back and find this file by matching it to when your issue occurred. For example:
These files can sometimes be too large to send through email. If so please upload them to a hosting service and include a link with your email. Here are a few we recommend.
Enhanced Logging build
In some circumstances, we need additional logging information to better understand your problem, and that’s when we ask that you use the Enhanced Logging build.
- Locate Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition in your Steam Games Library
- Right-click the game title and select Properties at the bottom of the menu
- In the window that appears, select the BETAS tab on the left
- In the available field, enter this beta access code: 4YH2SkfG7CK5yanvrXE9qj8b
- You’ll then see that you’ve been given access to enhanced_logging and a button will appear asking you if you’d like to opt in
- Opt in or select the enhanced_logging beta, and Steam will automatically update your build
The Enhanced Logging build generates very large log files - once you've submitted a relevant Support request, you'll want to switch back to the regular build, and once you've send any relevant log files you can delete them to save HDD space.
Save game and recorded game files
Here’s how to find and share your save game or recorded game file:
- Launch Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition.
- Click the Single Player button on the title screen and choose Load Game.
- Click the Open Saved Games Folder button. This will automatically open an explorer menu.
- Find the file of the Replay or Save Game where the issue occurred.
The following details are also very helpful to include in your ticket:
- Are you using a VPN?
- What antivirus are you using?
- Do you see any error messages when the issue occurs?
- Are you able to provide video or screenshots of the issue as it happens?
- Are there any steps that reproduce the issue reliably, or specific actions that cause it to occur?
- What version number is showing on the main menu screen?
- Are you using any mods with the game?