In the event that you are experiencing technical issues when running the game, we first recommend that you work through these troubleshooting steps in our support articles.
If there is still a technical issue, then our Support team will sometimes request for information. Here are steps to find several of the most requested pieces of information.
- Steam ID
- Crash logs
- Save game and recorded game files
- Other helpful information
Use the steps below to find your numeric Steam ID. This is often need instead of the Steam username since it is unique for each player.
- Launch the Steam app.
- Click View in the top left corner
- Choose Settings at the bottom of the list.
- In the pop up window, choose Interface from the list on the left.
- Check the box next to Display Steam URL address bar when available.
- Click Ok.
- Click on your Steam username and copy the number near the end of the URL.
If you have set up a custom URL for Steam, then you will need to take a few extra steps to show the numeric URL.
- Hover over your Steam username and choose Profile.
- Choose Edit Profile on the right side, underneath your level.
- Remove any text from the Custom URL field. This can be added back afterwards.
- Click Save and then click on your Steam username and copy the number near the end of the URL.
Use the steps below to find your Microsoft Gamertag.
- Go to Xbox.com.
- Click Sign In on the top right corner and log into your Microsoft Account.
- Your Gamertag will now be displayed in the top right corner.
Another important bit of information to provide is your DxDiag report, which provides an overview of your hardware, your driver versions, and other important information about your computer. Here’s how to generate a DxDiag report;
- Press the Windows key.
- Type dxdiag and select the ‘Run Command’ result.
- Let the tool run and generate a report.
- In the tool, select ‘Save All Information’ and save the file as a .txt file.
There are several different logs you should include whenever you encounter a crash, disconnect, or other technical issue:
|FILE NAME (example)||STORED IN|
|Warning Logs & Session Data||C:\Users\[[YOUR WINDOWS USERNAME]]\Documents\My Games\Age of Empires IV|
These files can sometimes be too large to send through email. If so please upload them to a hosting service and include a link with your email. Here are a few we recommend.
Save game and recorded game files
Here’s how to find and share your save game or recorded game file:
- Launch Age IV.
- Click the Load button on the title screen.
- Click the Open Saved Games Folder button. This will automatically open an explorer menu.
- Find the file of the Replay or Save Game where the issue occurred.
Sending a screenshot, can give Support additional context for the issue. There are two different ways to take a screenshot on Windows 10/11.
- Select the Start, enter snipping tool, then select Snipping Tool from the results.
- Press Windows logo key + Shift + S
For options on working with the screenshot, visit the Use Snipping Tool to capture screenshots help article.
The following details are also very helpful to include in your ticket:
- Are you using a VPN?
- What antivirus are you using?
- Do you see any error messages when the issue occurs?
- Are there any steps that reproduce the issue reliably, or specific actions that cause it to occur?
- What version number is showing on the main menu screen?
- Are you using any mods with the game?